BECOME A VOLUNTEER PUPPETEER
The Concerned Kids is looking for volunteers to present educational and interactive puppet programs about relevant social issues to youth ages 5-12. To complement our current roster of programs on Bullying & School Safety and Peer Pressure & Substance Abuse our new Scripted Material will cover topics on Mental Health; Physical Differences; and An Alternative to Violence, Gangs & Prejudice. For the new school season 2016/2017 we will be launching programs on Healthy Bodies & Good Eating Habits; and Personal Safety and Child Abuse Awareness.
A love for performing & theatre experience is an asset. You will receive intensive professional mandatory training of approximately 36 hours + rehearsal time in a style of Bunraku puppetry which will be provided to you at NO Cost. Performances are held during school hours, hence puppeteer position suitable for ages 20 and up.
- The ability to memorize a script efficiently
- Energetic, enthusiastic people with no experience necessary!
- This is a physical volunteer position which requires a certain amount of agility and flexibility
- Must be physically able to hold a puppet (weighing 3-4 pounds on your hand) for a period of up to 45 minutes, the length of a performance
- Ability to crouch and/or stand freely while holding a puppet on one hand
- A dramatic flair is advantageous
- Knowledge of the topics we discuss is also an asset (it helps answer questions young people may have during the presentation)
- A car is an asset – but not required
- Willingness to travel across the GTA and surrounding area, including Mississauga, Brampton and York Region schools
- Because of the nature of our programs, individuals must complete a Police Reference Check for the vulnerable sector (the cost is covered by TCK)
Volunteers must be willing to commit at least 2 or 3 DAYS PER MONTH from September to June during the school calendar year. This opportunity would suit a creative and enthusiastic individual passionate about making a difference in the lives of children and youth through interactive puppet presentations.
In order to qualify for our extensive training session, we will be conducting a phone interview with a call back opportunity to meet in person prior to training as a volunteer puppeteer.
- What you’ll learn during training:
- Puppetry skills such as: Mouth synchronization, gestures, eye focus and posture of the puppet
- Character development
- Voice characterization and projection
- Breathing techniques and physical warm-ups to prevent muscle strain
- School procedures
- Story-telling … and MORE
Please note: Training is exclusively for volunteers who plan to commit one or two half days per month during the school year to The Concerned Kids.
If interested in volunteering, please email Tinda at firstname.lastname@example.org with a résumé as well as a brief letter stating your experience and/or interest in puppetry, theatre, education, community social programs, etc. or call 416-636-1656 ext. 1
Volunteering with The Concerned Kids is a very memorable and unique experience. Please visit our Volunteer Testimonial page for more information.